Kubotan training: How to train at home?
Kubotan is a very simple tool and it's use is almost natural to most of us. If you know how to punch and move your hands then you can use the kubotan. However, using the Kubotan is like every other skill it gets better with regular practice. Remember that in under pressure you will not have much time to think so everything need to come natural to you and here lies the importance of your Kubotan training.
You need to remember that the kubotan is just a force equalizer and it works in certain fight ranges and like everything has its limitations. For that we highly recommend that you take a class or two with an instructor so you easily understand how the tool works and what to expect from it. Real life training develops your skills on distance and timings which are very important aspects in a fight.
After you have had a couple of sessions with an instructor and got the fundamentals its time to nail them down into your muscle memory. Simply you need to practice and train the moves and strikes over and over until you can perform instinctively.
We simply suggest that you practice the following skills on regular basis:
- Drawing your kubotan as fast as possible. This reqiures that you always carry your kubotan in the same pocket and that you rehearse and train your timing for drawing the kubotan with some sort of a trigger. You will also need to practice drawing it under different conditions like when you are sitting, lying on the ground or moving in different directions.
- Secondly train your kubotan grips, use it in different grips and if possible in both hands.
- The third element is to kubotan strikes training, you need to practice different types of strikes usig different grips. It also helps if you practice those strikes on a solid surface so you get the feeling of your kubotan hitting something and how to keep it in your hand so yo don't easily lose it in a fight.
- The Fourth element is to practice flows, learn to flow from one strike to another in a natural and logical manner. Every strike toward your oponent's body will open some targets, learn to expect those and to flow.
- Lastly it would help immensely if you practice your kubotan strikes on a moving object like a small hanging bag or pad. Keep in mind that in a real fight your attacker will most likely be a quickly moving target . This kind of training will condition your responses and coordinate your body movements.
I am sharing the video below as it provides a simple demonstration for different types of strikes that I expect you to practice at home. The instructor also explains how your body should be moving in order to deliver the strike with maximum force and impact. There are some other Kubotan training aspects, which I will touch upon in future posts, for now just train on using your kubotan.
Check out more training requirements at our kubotan training resources post.